The original Nishimuraya ryokan was founded during the Ansei period (late 1800’s) of the Edo era of Japan (1603 to 1868). In 1925 an unprecedented earthquake occurred and the original Nishimuraya ryokan was consumed in a fire that destroyed most of Kinosaki Onsen. As the then mayor of the town, the 4th generation owner Sahei (43 years old) spearheaded the rebuilding of the town and proclaimed, “so long as there is hot spring running in this town, Kinosaki will recover and will thrive.” Under his leadership, the town people worked together to rebuild the town. In 1926, Nishimuraya Honkan was rebuilt. The Wa no Kokoro (the spirit of harmony) was cherished, kept and inherited up to now.
Nishimuraya Honkan is a member of Relais & Châteaux, praised by Lonely Planet as the “best onsen ryokan” in Japan. It’s 34 guest rooms are all traditional, Japanese-style. Guests staying at Nishimuraya Honkan can enjoy 3 hot spring baths as well as complimentary access to all 7 of the public hot springs of Kinosaki Onsen. In-room dining of traditional kaiseki dinners is available.